Murray Ralston Lawyers Logo

What Damages Can I be Compensated for if I Sue the Other Driver?

Being involved in a car accident can be a very serious and traumatic event. If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. You want to make sure that there are no hidden injuries such as a concussion. Once you have received the necessary medical attention, you may be wondering if you should pursue legal action. You may be wondering what you can even sue the other driver for?

What can I sue the other driver for?

Anyone who is injured in a car accident can sue the driver of the other car for:

  • Economic loss;
  • Loss of earning capacity including future loss of income;
  • Pain and suffering;
  • Loss of care, guidance, and companionship of a family member; and
  • Health care expenses (if you have suffered a permanent serious disfigurement or permanent serious impairment of an important physical, mental, or psychological function).

In Ontario, in some circumstances, you must exceed a certain ‘threshold’ level of injury to be entitled to recover damages. In addition, there is currently a $30,000 deductible for certain damages which may also apply to your situation. If still you have more questions, Murray Ralston Law has more helpful information on suing the other driver.

Should I take the next step, do I sue the other driver?

If you want to find out more about suing the other driver following a car accident or if you want to learn more about what you can be compensated for, let us know.

* The information above is not intended to be legal advice. Each situation is different and the information provided above may not provide you with all law applicable to your facts. To ensure you are properly protected under the law applicable to your facts, please contact Murray Ralston Law for a free consultation.